I have known Col. Jim Bathurst since we served together at 8th & I during 1968–69. After reading his book, I better understand who he is and why he did the things the way he did. I know him far better now than I ever did before. The book is about a young kid, a dropout from high school, and his journey through life. It is more than a simple chronology but a lesson about how blessed we are in this country that someone with Jim’s background can end up accomplishing as much as he did. The harder he worked the luckier he got.
I have read many accounts from authors who have paid painstaking attention to detail in writing about their life experience. So much so that one has to question as to how much is made up and how much is fact. One does not gain that feeling while reading this book. It is a story about life and how hard work can pay dividends.
In one chapter, Jim speaks of the moment when he came to the realization that he was not “dumb” but possessed a high level of intelligence and common sense. That comes in the later part of his book. As I read the passages, I felt his concern that he was not formally educated and considered it a draw back to his possibility for advancement. Yet my interpretation based on his writing was that he was always very intelligent displaying the ability to analyze a situation and arrive at a logical solution, one that worked. His demonstrated ability to train and motivate Marines is testimony to his innate leadership ability.
He does not dwell on success as much as he does how he got there. He gives credit not to what he did but what he was able to get his Marines to do. He uses plain language that even a civilian can understand. One cannot write a book about nearly 36 years with the Marine Corps and not use some of the jargon that accompanies one through active duty. Yet he provides an explanation at every turn so that the reader does not lose interest.
As I read passage after passage, I reflected on my career as an officer of Marines and found myself transported back to some wonderful memories. For example, when Jim explained his “ass chewing” from Col. Paul G. Graham I was right there with him as I had the same experience. Well, maybe some not so wonderful memories.
I believe that the one enduring message I took with me was his unbridled love for the Corps and of Marines. It is something that those of us who were fortunate enough to experience do not have to explain to each other, and it is something that you can never explain to someone who never shared the experience. Men do not talk about loving other men, but in the final analysis Jim, and all of us so fortunate enough to have experienced it, loved more men than women. We all loved our Marines. I consider myself most fortunate to be able to call him a friend and that at least some small part of his story is also mine.
Ronald S. Neubauer
LtCol USMC (Ret)
Chief of Police St. Peters, MO (Ret)
Executive Director, Eastern Missouri Police Academy
Just another of example of the self-centered, scared-to-death, Kool Aid drinking flag officers (generals and admirals) populating our military services today. One has to be living under a rock (or a flaming liberal) to actually believe the Secretary of the Army. The big question remains, can we as a nation handle fourteen more months of that Chicago Street Hustler’s leadership. Gee, I hate using the word — leadership — in the same sentence with him for he hasn’t a clue what it means. The following is a must read for any loyal, dedicated, patriotic American. Then write your elected officials and ask them to explain all this to you. I’d guess that many, especially my two senators here in the cesspool of politics, won’t have a clue what the article is talking about.
Something is rotten at Fort Benning
I don’t know if any go back as far as you and I do. Jan 1966 we were in Camp Pendleton in route to RVN then our ocean cruise to DaNang. The next time I saw you, you had the drill team at 8th& I .
The next time was after 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines came back off of a Med deployment and we shared coffee and sea stories at Camp Geiger. I met your wife at my bank and went to her every time I went there .
One day she wanted my address with no explanation; only to receive an Invitation to your Retirement which I was proud to attend.
Then nothing for years until I saw your name on Way-Mor’s web site. The rest is history and that covers soon-to-be 50 years of Brotherhood..
Semper Fidelis my Brother
January 20, 2017
- President Donald trump and Vice Carly Forina are sworn into office.
- In a rare event on inauguration day, Congress convenes for an emergency meeting to repeal the illegal and unconstitutional Socialist healthcare farce known as Obama care. The new Director of Health and Social Services Dr. Ben Carson announces that an independent group of healthcare management professionals is hired to handle healthcare services for poor and low-income people. They are also assigned the duty of eliminating Medicare and Medicaid fraud. Government’s costs for public healthcare are reduced by 90%. Healthcare insurance premiums for working Americans are reduced by 50%. The move saves billions of taxpayer paid dollars. Healthcare service in the U.S improves 100%.
- Newly appointed department of Homeland Security Chief Joe Arpaio announces the immediate deployment of US troops to the U.S. Mexico border to control illegal immigration and the immediate deportation of illegals with criminal records or links to terrorist groups. New bio-encrypted Social Security IDs are required by every American citizen. Birthright is abolished. All immigration from countries that represent a threat to the safety of American citizens is terminated indefinitely. The move saves American taxpayers billions of dollars. Several prisons are closed.
- Newly appointed Secretary of Business and Economic Development Ted Cruz eliminates more than half of the Government agencies operating under the Obama administration saving taxpayers billions of dollars. Stocks rise 100%.
- Newly appointed Director of Government Finance Rand Paul announces the abolition of the IRS and displays a copy of the new Federal Tax Return form. It consists of one page. The instructions consist of two pages. The Federal Reserve is audited. The move saves American taxpayers billions of dollars and increases tax revenue.
- Hillary Clinton is in jail. Bill bought a the Playboy mansion in Las Vegas. Her cell is directly across from Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton who are serving time for a lifetime of tax evasions and “hate crimes.” She bitches at them constantly from behind the bars of her cell in what some might call cruel and unusual punishment.
- Bernie Sanders is in the nuthouse. His room is directly across from Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Chris Matthews, Rachael Maddow, and Al Franken. They meet for tea every day at ten and discuss the success and benefits of Communism and Socialism throughout the world. They also wonder when the “mother ship” is going to pick them up and return them to their home planets.
- Windows 12 is released. It is designed for humans, doesn’t try to satisfy the needs of every person on the planet, doesn’t require a degree in nuclear physics to operate and looks just like Windows 7 except it is easier to use.
- Barack Obama flees the United States under cover of darkness and returns to his homeland of Kenya before his trial for treason begins. He deplaned on a remote jungle airstrip. It was reported that he was last seen wandering through the jungle singing “Hakuna Matata” with an ugly chimp named Valerie.
- Oscar Meyer announces the introduction of a new cholesterol and fat-free pepperoni that tastes just like regular pepperoni.
- Not to be outdone, Kraft Foods announces the introduction of several varieties of cholesterol and fat-free cheeses that taste just like regular cheese.
- A committee is not established to determine what is causing global cooling. Billions of taxpayer dollars are saved.
- Raquel Welch calls me, crying. She tells me it was a big mistake dumping me back in 2000 and begs me to take her back. I decline, explaining that I am happily married. She is devastated and cries for days. Justice is served.
- Dead people are no longer allowed to vote in Chicago, a huge blow for the Democrat Party in Illinois.
- I receive a call from an attorney in Scotland. He explains that I have inherited a single malt Scotch distillery and a coastal estate in Ireland from a distant relative and that I need to be there as soon as possible to sign the papers. Ten hours later we tour our new vacation home. There is a red Aston-Martin in the garage, also part of the inheritance.
And that, my friends, constitutes MY PERFECT DAY!!!!!!
WARNING: This video contains some rather strong language, I don’t suspect it will bother any Marine, but others — I don’t know?
Having said that, it is encouraging to see a Muslim finally speak out against the horrible atrocities committed by his fellow Muslims. In fact, if I were him, I’d be careful, he just may find himself as a target of the scumbags to which he speaks.
For some unknown reason to me, you’ll have to copy and paste this URL into your browser.